Between diners, restaurants, and cafés, there’s a long list of noteworthy eateries in State College, PA. So many, that choosing your next dinner destination can be a challenge.
Taste the best eats that State College has to offer when you check out the following Happy Valley gems that are serving top-notch food and drink!
Herwig’s Austrian Bistro
Austrian natives and owners of Herwig’s Austrian Bistro on West College Avenue fell in love with State College while visiting friends in the early 1980s, and Herwig’s was born, brining genuine home-cooked Austrian food and Gemütlichkeit (friendliness) to Nittany Lion country.
What to Eat:
Herwig’s unique, flavorful, and hearty menu will take your taste buds to the Austrian Alps in no time. And you don’t have to be nervous about pronouncing items on Herwig’s menu, since each entry includes a phonetic pronunciation.
Look forward to trying these tasty, traditional Austrian dishes:
- Knödel mit Ei (KNO-dul MIT EYE): handmade bread dumplings sautéed with eggs and served with fresh greens.
- Wienerschnitzel (WEE-nur-shnit-zul): a pan-fried, lightly pounded veal cutlet served with refreshing German potato salad.
Kelly’s Steak & Seafood
Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or just in the mood for a casual dinner, Kelly’s Steak & Seafood’s top-notch steakhouse fare will hit the spot. Quality drives every aspect of Kelly’s operations, from sourcing high-quality ingredients to staffing top culinary talent in the kitchen.
What to Eat:
Whether you’re more into “landfood” or seafood, Kelly’s offers an array of mouthwatering options that are sure to satisfy.
- Steak lovers shouldn’t pass up ordering one of Kelly’s 28-day aged Nebraska steaks that are seasoned and grilled to perfection, drizzled with your choice of decadent, butter-based sauce, and served with creamy Yukon Gold mashed potatoes.
Otto’s Pub & Brewery
If you like a good brew with your meal, why not go straight to the source? Otto’s Pub & Brewery is an onsite craft brewery and restaurant located in the heart of State College—what they pour and plate is exceptionally fresh! Otto’s partners with dozens of local and sustainable farms, fish markets, bakeries, pasta makers, and more, so you can feel good about every bite and sip of your meal.
What to Eat:
- Try a crock of Otto’s Beer-Infused Chili, featuring local beef, beans, sweet corn, and a melted layer of cheddar jack cheese.
- Or order a vegetarian/vegan option like the balsamic-marinated Portobello mushroom sandwich that’s topped with roasted red peppers, red onion jam, and arugula.
The next time you’re hungry in Happy Valley, you’ll know just where to head! To make a reservation or learn more, click on the link within each restaurant listing.