Perhaps the most important of all routine services is your car’s engine oil change. Clean oil does a lot for the car’s engine and essentially allows it to run, because without any oil your engine would seize up and die.
To help all local Lewistown, State College, and Bellefonte area drivers know everything there is to know out their car’s oil change process, our team at The Lake Dealerships has created the following helpful overview.
How Long Does the Oil Change Take?
We’ve all been there: You’re waiting in the lobby area at the mechanic’s for your car’s oil change while you read a magazine or scroll through your social media accounts. Sometimes, it seems way longer than it should take to change your car’s oil, and other times, it’s done in a flash.
In an ideal world, your car’s oil change would take less than 20 minutes, but it should usually take 30 minutes and no more than an hour. Below are the steps your expert technicians will take to change your oil:
- Lift the car so that the oil canister is easy to get to.
- Unscrew and open the oil drain plug.
- Drain all the oil into a drain pan to catch the drippings.
- Change the filters that keep the oil clean.
- Replace the drained oil with the proper new oil per your cars specifications.
These main steps to changing a car’s oil are pretty universal. The experience level of your technician, the amount of oil in your car, and a few other factors will play a role in how long the actual change process takes.
Why is an Oil Change Important?
As mentioned above, changing your car’s oil is incredibly important to its engine and overall longevity and reliability. Plenty of people go many months and sometimes years without having their oil changed, which eventually shows, as the car’s engine can become severely damaged from a lack of lubrication.
Changing your car’s oil is important for the following reasons:
- Oil lubricates the car’s engine, allowing all the components to move freely.
- Replacing the filter keeps impurities out of the oil, therefore keeping them out of the engine where they could be potentially harmful.
- Overheating is prevented because oil helps to keep the engine and its components cool.
- Improved gas mileage is a bonus of clean oil, as the engine does less to move the car along; it also consumes less gas.
- Prevents engine friction, wear, and engine noise,s which can cause severe damage if not serviced properly.
Schedule Your Oil Change Appointment Today!
Regularly changing your car’s engine oil is one of the most important things you can do to make sure it’s reliable, help lengthen its lifespan, and ensure the engine is running strong.
Since you now know how long an oil change takes and how beneficial it is for your car, make sure to schedule one with our Lake Dealerships Service Department if you’re in the Lewistown, State College, or Bellefonte areas.